Working abroad

 I'm really grateful for the internet because I can work from Huatulco, Mexico for assignments given in all parts of the United States. Though I mainly work with the East Coast region. 

It's the second year that I'm doing this and so far, the internet has only failed me twice and got back up again, after an interruption. And so I've learned to trust it.

I only work 4-6 months of a year, so beginning work is always an adjustment. This is my 2nd week of getting back to work since 7 months ago and so it's been work getting used to a certain amount of stress again. But today I felt like I had finally adjusted, because today's assignment seemed easy. 

In the midst of living in a beach town where every one is relaxed and everything laid back, I deal with the stress of litigation, which is linear and precise. And so I couldn't be dealing with more opposing worlds!

It's nice to get out of work and take my bun and pearls off and my formal work shirt and relax in silk and take a walk in the hot streets of Huatulco. Today I went to get eggs and tortillas and shopped for a cell phone charger they didn't have at the store.......and took a deep breath and said joyfully "this is where I am in the sunny heat of a laid back life" and I was happy to be here instead of the cold NYC. 

Before the pandemic, I used to commute for work to different Law Offices around NYC, and I guess I was always on the hunt for the job assignment, an experience that has ended ever since the job was moved online thanks to COVID. I'm so grateful for my chance to work online thanks to COVID.

It has changed my life. I don't have as much prep time before an assignment and I can work from anywhere in the world. Though I will be getting back to NYC in May and I hope to work from there as well. 

I have errands and "must do's' in Mexico before I leave which is the reason I"m here and I'm glad I can work online in the meantime, while I get things done. 

Are you happy with your online job? How have you adjusted to it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have 4.5 months left here

Mixed feelings about going back to New York